How ERP Can Help the Food and Beverage Industry
Food and beverage manufacturers may be subject to the most unique business pressures and requirements of any industry. The food and beverage industry deal with materials and finished goods that can spoil, become hazardous, or are subject to a variety of regulations. Mistakes can cost companies in this industry greatly in terms of fines and public perception.
At the same time these companies have similar requirements to other manufacturers with regards to business systems that are used to manage operations and give management visibility that can enable informed decisions. Therefore food and beverage manufacturers need business solutions that can manage the front and back office from end-to-end, as well as provide detailed visibility into materials and finished goods in order to meet their requirements. As such, according to a recent ERP Benchmark Survey, 94% of leading food and beverage manufacturers have implemented Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP).
Top business pressures faced by food and manufacturers include:
- Decreasing or unpredictable demand
- Market perceptions of organization vs. its competitors
- Inadequate business systems
ERP can mitigate these pressures by helping to:
- Standardize business processes
- Streamline and accelerate processes to increase efficiency and productivity
- Modernize technology
- Reduce the number of disparate enterprise applications
- Optimize the use of current capacity